Dorchester Town hammered as Farnborough hit six

BY: Neil Walton – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportNeil)


DORCHESTER Town collapsed to their biggest defeat of the Evo-Stik Southern Premier South season as Farnborough hammered the Magpies in a 6-0 win at the Clayson Stadium.

Slick play from Boro saw Marc Charles-Smith open the scoring before Seth Owens tapped home.

Dorchester fell away markedly in the second half as Kurtis Cumberbatch, Connor Cullen, Tom Leggett and Elliot Bonds all scored to humble a poor Magpies’ side who have only scored seven goals in 12 home league games this season.

Hampered by unavailability, Dorchester made four changes to the side that began the 2-1 FA Trophy loss at Barnet.

Cameron Murray left the club and was replaced by Tom Blair, while Luke Winsper, Ross Carmichael and new signing Richard Gillespie came into the starting line-up.

Dorchester named an new, old, face on the bench in Callum Thompson, the utility player having left the club earlier in the season.

Dual-registered Ashley Pope and Ben Morris also returned to the matchday squad.

Dorchester were given early warnings of Farnborough’s intentions with two shots inside the first 56 seconds.

Leggett stormed forward from deep and unfurled a rising drive straight at keeper Kingsley Latham before Charles-Smith squared for Cumberbatch to curl well wide from 20 yards.

In a frantic start, Winsper shot fiercely at Liam Beach, the gloveman diving athletically to tip over his goalbound effort before Boro countered and played in the lively Cullen, who cut inside only to see his attempt beaten away by Latham.

The Magpies did not heed the threat shown by Boro on the break and were duly punished in the 10th minute when Winsper gave away possession in the Boro third.

Cullen deftly nodded into the path of Leggett who sped at the home defence before cutely playing Charles-Smith in, the rangy striker slamming home past Latham from 12 yards.

Dorchester nearly responded when an off-balance yet unmarked Sam Jackson headed wide at the back post before Charles-Smith bizarrely headed wide with his back to goal.

An end-to-end game was aided by a skiddy 3G pitch amidst heavy drizzle and, when Leggett shot at Latham from an acute angle, the Magpies broke and supplied Antonio Diaz, who curled at Beach.

Tom Blair retrieved possession by tackling centre-back Rob Bartley on the byline and shooting straight at Beach from six yards.

If Boro’s flowing play on the break had undone Dorchester initially, the Magpies plotted their own downfall for the second goal with poor defending.

Latham mis-timed a punch and the ensuing clearance was slammed against a Dorchester player to Owens, who tapped home from three yards at the near post.

Beach was on top form again to deny Billy Lowes’ goalbound effort following good hold-up play from Jackson and was called upon again as Blair hit a reverse shot to the stopper’s right.

Boss Steve Thompson made an attacking change at the break, hauling off centre-back Carmichael for winger Aaron Rodriguez and the change saw the former Weymouth man instantly on the ball, only to drag wide from 20 yards.

However, more sorry defending contributed to Boro’s third goal as Winsper gave possession away again, allowing Cumberbatch to ghost past the Dorchester defence and precisely finish past Latham into the top-right corner.

Winsper nearly atoned for his mistake when his pinpoint cross found Gillespie, but the striker found Beach an immovable object, the keeper pawing out the striker’s header at full stretch.

Gillespie was replaced by Pope as the Magpies chased a consolation, but Farnborough were to strike next as the wheels rapidly began to fall off the home side’s wagon.

Charles-Smith embarrassed Jackson with a trick and passed to the unmarked Cullen to head in from point-blank range.

More shocking defending saw Cumberbatch play in sub CJ Fearn whose shot cannoned off the Dorchester defence to Leggett, who finished expertly with a drilled shot from a narrow angle.

Pope flicked a header goalwards and Kyle Egan shot over as a consolation evaded the Magpies, before Bonds worsened a thoroughly miserable home display with a well-placed shot that Latham tipped in via the post.

Magpies: Latham, Egan, Martin, Rose, Carmichael (Rodriguez 46), Winsper, Blair (Morris 84), Lowes, Gillespie (Pope 66), Diaz, Jackson. Subs not used: Hutchings, C Thompson

Farnborough: Beach, Beavan, Owens, Leggett, Bartley (Fearn 68), Cumberbatch, Oyenuga, Bonds, Charles-Smith (Halsey 75), Cullen, Young (Lukowski 84).

Referee: Andrew Evans (Trowbridge)

Attendance: 253