Dorchester win after late Tiverton miss

BY: Neil Walton – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportNeil)


DORCHESTER Town survived a stoppage-time missed penalty by Tiverton Town captain Jamie Price at Ladysmead to record a fine 3-2 triumph – their fourth win in five Evo-Stik Southern Premier South away games.

A hugely entertaining contest saw Tivvy’s Levi Landricombe score in the second minute, only for Ben Seymour to first equalise then net from the spot before half-time.

Landricombe poached his second on 65 minutes and Aaron Rodriguez struck an 84th-minute winner prior to Price’s dreadful miss.

Victory halted a winless run of four games for Dorchester, who made just one change to the starting XI that began the 1-1 draw with Wimborne on Saturday as Rodriguez was dropped to the bench in favour of Antonio Diaz.

The Magpies also included Ash Pope, Dom Panesar-Dower, Ben Morris and Nick Hutchings in the dugout.

Tiverton, meanwhile, named ex-Weymouth striker Stewart Yetton in their line-up.
Dorchester last met Tivvy in September during an action-packed 2-0 FA Cup second qualifying round loss to the Yellows.

On that occasion, debutant goalkeeper Alhaji Sesay saved a penalty before his sending off and there was a similarly gloomy feel for the Magpies after just two minutes of this match.

Tiverton’s goal was crafted by the Landricombe siblings as Michael supplied brother Levi to arrow a shot across Kingsley Latham in the Dorchester goal and into the far corner.

Dorchester nearly washed away their poor start only for Brennan Camp to wastefully head wide from a fifth-minute corner.

In a high-octane start, Tom Gardner then had a goal ruled offside for the hosts before Seymour turned his man and lashed a shot at Liam Armstrong, who in his first action since extending his loan deal from Bristol Rovers saved smartly.

Seymour did not have to wait long to level and he duly notched his tenth Dorchester goal with a brilliant improvised finish.

Tom Blair won a corner from Ben Mammola’s tackle and after Billy Lowes saw his effort cleared off the line, Diaz recycled the ball for Seymour to cleverly flick home.

Diaz was again at the centre of Dorchester’s next move as Callum Rose picked the number 10 out before the Spaniard shot at Armstrong.

Latham was then called upon to make a superb flying save from goalscorer Landricombe when the forward got up to nod Josh Key’s inviting cross goalwards.

The Southampton loanee’s excellent glove work paid dividends when Dorchester were awarded a penalty in the 34th minute.

Blair was brought down in the area by Yellows’ captain Jamie Price for a booking before Seymour stepped up to slot home into the bottom corner past Armstrong.

Mammola next aimed a swipe at Blair for a booking and was nearly sent off when Seymour raced through and went down in the area under the centre-back’s attentions, referee Steve Annis this time waving play on before half-time.

After the break, Yetton headed wide as Tivvy again made a fast start before five chances came Dorchester’s way in 10 minutes.

Diaz’s deflected shot first looped over, before Blair headed wide from a corner and rifled wide on the edge of the box. Blair tried his luck again, lobbing over before Diaz dragged a shot wide.

On 65 minutes, Dorchester were punished for failing to capitalise when Landricombe stole in at the back post to slam home as the away defence failed to dismiss a dangerous cross.

Landricombe, who was awarded man-of-the-match by the match sponsors, then raced clean through on goal only to sky his attempt well over Latham’s bar.

Rodriguez replaced Diaz and the winger ultimately made Tivvy and Landricombe pay with what proved to be the winning strike.

Michael Landricombe gifted the substitute possession with a poor clearance and Rodriguez did the rest, jinking inside and stroking his shot home to delight the Magpies’ travelling support.

In stoppage time, Dorchester fans’ hearts might have sunk when Yetton was felled in the area but Price wildly blazed over the spot-kick as Dorchester lived through a major scare, rising one place to 18th in the table.

Tiverton: Armstrong, Key, Hall, Price, Mammola, Gardner (Rogers 61), M Landricombe, Colwell, Yetton, L Landricombe, Davis (Furness 46). Subs not used: Tasker, Bath, Curtis

Magpies: Latham, Egan, Martin, Rose (Panesar-Dower 76), Camp, Winsper, Blair, Lowes, Seymour, Diaz (Rodriguez 71), Jackson. Subs not used: Pope, Morris, Hutchings

Referee: Steven Annis

Attendance: 314