Dorchester Town ease past Totton to progress

BY: Neil Walton – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportNeil)


DORCHESTER Town cantered past AFC Totton with a dominant 3-1 victory in their FA Trophy second qualifying round clash at the Clayson Stadium.

Totton pounced on a wayward pass from Callum Rose in their first attack, Justin Bennett tapping home after Kingsley Latham’s fine save from Craig Feeney’s header with just 62 seconds gone.

Thereafter it was all Dorchester as Harry Kite rifled home from 35 yards with goalkeeper Adam Siviter motionless.

Ben Seymour then scored a rapid double to take his tally to four in four games, while Antonio Diaz hit the post in the second half.

Dorchester made a single change to the side that began last week’s 0-0 draw with Merthyr Town, Aaron Rodriguez making way for the returning Luke Winsper after the midfielder’s one-game suspension.

Wingers Tom Blair and Josh Williams missed out from the matchday squad, the former beginning the first match of a ban for a second red card of the season picked up against Yate Town in the first qualifying round.

There was also a welcome return to the playing 16 for Dom Panesar-Dower, who recovered sufficiently from concussion and illness to take his place in the dugout.

Centre-back Ross Carmichael joined him on the bench after unavailability.

Dorchester’s recent first qualifying round replay win over Yate was their last home victory in six games, and the search for another win looked to be in peril after an error-strewn start.

Rose was culpable, gifting possession away after marching out of defence and aiming an airy waft at the ball.

Totton’s Oluwatobi Adekunle then raided down the left and accurately crossed for the unmarked Craig Feeney, whose header was superbly saved by Latham, only for the Dorchester defence to fall asleep once more as Bennett reacted first to tap home after 62 seconds.

Occasional deluges of rain had made the Clayson’s 3G pitch a slick one and Dorchester were finally warming to the task in the windy conditions after an extremely lacklustre start, Seymour beaten to a rebound by a lunging slide from Callum Chugg.

Totton seemed content to throw men behind the ball after their early goal and Dorchester punished them with a leveller on 19 minutes when Murray fed Kite 35 yards out, the Exeter loanee unfurling a rasping drive into the top-right corner that left goalkeeper Siviter rooted to the spot.

Kite’s goal unleashed the shackles of a ponderous opening for the hosts, who suddenly began to create chances at will.

Kite turned creator for Seymour, who was played clean through by a phenomenal ball along the floor, only for the teenager to slide his finish marginally wide of the far post.

One minute later, Seymour scored a simple second when Winsper’s thrusting run and 18-yard shot was parried into his path, the striker burying his finish into the roof of the net.

Dorchester had their third in the space of 10 minutes when Seymour latched onto a pass and slotted home from an acute angle, gloveman Siviter perhaps guilty of judging his shot to be rolling wide.

After Siviter was booked for petulantly kicking the ball away, Seymour nearly climbed high enough to nod home a pinpoint Kyle Egan cross.

Totton did see Bennett shoot wide from 25 yards as the Stags tried to respond before half-time.

The visitors again struggled in the second period as Dorchester exhibited their fluent passing and a wonderful move involving Kite, Billy Lowes and Murray culminated in Diaz driving low at Siviter, who saved well with his legs.

Another fabulous team move had Totton chasing shadows and Diaz strode into space before beating Siviter from 20 yards with a powerful shot, only for his effort to cannon off the base of the right-hand post.

As the half endured, Totton picked up a succession of bookings to take their tally to five, while an embarrassing moment saw two Stags run into each other, setting Diaz up for a counter-attack which came to nothing.

Dorchester completely dominated the latter stages, seeing the game out with consummate ease for a place in the third qualifying round and another £4,000 in prize money.

Magpies: Latham, Egan, Martin, Rose, Bailey, Kite, Murray (Rodriguez 77), Lowes, Seymour (Pope 77), Diaz, Winsper. Subs not used: Edgar, Carmichael, Panesar-Dower

Totton: Siviter, Nicholls, Perrett, Masterton, Chugg, Smith, Tavares, McLean, Feeney, Bennett, Adekunle (Green 71). Subs not used: Papakonstantinou, Haynes, Allen, Wilde

Referee: Conor Farrell (London)

Attendance: 285