Dorchester Town progress as Ben Seymour strikes

BY: Aidan Williams – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportAidan)


BEN Seymour scored his second goal in his first two games for Dorchester to see them past Yate Town in their FA Trophy first qualifying round replay.

In a match that was not a classic by any definition, Seymour’s 20-yard free-kick curled its way into the bottom corner, before Harry Kite’s late goal.

Dorchester were entirely unchanged from their 1-1 draw with the Bluebells, while Yate Town made two changes, as Sam Kamara and Ross Langworthy dropped to the bench, as last week’s goalscorer Ben Brooks and Adam Price came into the squad.

The Magpies started encouragingly, hurrying the Bluebells when the visitors had possession, and being patient when Dorchester had the ball.

This approach led to Luke Winsper swinging in a cross that Seymour headed wide after three minutes.

The Bluebells hinted at their threat when they caught Dorchester napping in possession, but the ball forward was wasteful and Kyle Egan happily cleared it away.

Yate again robbed Dorchester of possession and Adam Price thundered in a shot that Neil Martin did well to get low and block.

However, a great run from Seymour saw him fouled by Josh Ford close to the corner flag, which earned a free-kick.

Antonio Diaz swung it in but it was headed away and eventually to safety.

Dorchester should have taken the lead after 15 minutes, when Kite threaded a wonderful ball across the box to Seymour, who poked the ball just wide of the far post.

A foul from Kite earned the visitors a free-kick in a promising position, centrally from just outside the box, which Yate captain Nick Peare put over the bar.

Cameron Murray earned gasps from the crowd as, following a free-kick, he rifled in a powerful shot from outside the box that rose just over the bar.

Murray had a similar effort moments later but it was easily saved by visiting goalkeeper Lewis Thomas.

The Bluebells’ Saturday goalscorer Brooks should have scored not long after this, when he could not find space to squeeze a shot away from four-yards out.

With 35 minutes on the clock Diaz helped the Magpies to counter-attack and unleashed a low shot on the edge of the box which Thomas did well to save.

Despite this, Peare should have scored a moment later for the visitors, when a corner was swung in and he saw his headed effort hacked off the line.

Yate Town had another great chance after 42 minutes, when Olly Mehew and Brooks broke away with the former unleashing a shot that goes marginally over the bar.

In complete contrast to the first half the second started fantastically.

Seymour curled in his second goal in his second start for the Magpies, curling in a 20-yard free-kick expertly into the bottom corner.

Yate responded well and got into the Magpies’ box and appealed for a handball, yet too vigorously as Ford was shown a yellow card.

The Magpies had come out vastly more fired up than they began the match as the game began to belatedly catch light.

The game then devolved into a poor encounter for a time, as both teams lacked a final ball.

Diaz did well to retrieve a ball on the goalline near the corner flag and moments later tested Thomas with a low shot.

Winsper then shot over the bar with an ambitious shot from 30-yards out.

Billy Lowes then did well to set up Diaz, who fired straight at Thomas from an angle.

Kite then broke into the box and despite a goal seemingly inevitable Kite could not get a shot away.

Lowes then forced Thomas into a fantastic save with a shot from 20-yards out which had to be tipped onto the post.

Aaron Rodriguez made his presence felt immediately after coming on, with a 25-yard shot that ricocheted out for a corner.

From the corner the Magpies could not take advantage however.

A moment later Yate thought they had scored.

A corner provoked a scramble on the line which the visitors thought was over the line before the referee played on.

There was late drama as Tom Blair received a straight red card for a poor challenge on Mehew.

Yet moments later the tie was wrapped up when Kite rounded Thomas to slot in and seal the Magpies’ progression.

Dorchester host Merthyr Town on Saturday (3pm).

Magpies: Latham, Egan, Martin, Rose, Bailey, Kite, Murray (Blair 71), Lowes, Seymour (Carmichael 88), Diaz (Rodriguez 71), Winsper. Subs not used: Edgar, Williams

Yate Town: Thomas, Evans, Keightley (Hitchens 89), Peare, Ford, Boulton, Price (Kamara 71), Guest (Langworthy 89), Mehew, Brooks, Twyman.

Referee: Niall Clinton

Attendance: 207