Dorchester Town twice pegged back in Kings Langley draw

BY: Neil Walton – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportNeil)


DORCHESTER Town were twice pegged back by a dogged Kings Langley side for a 2-2 draw in their Evo-Stik Southern Premier South clash at the Clayson Stadium. Cameron Murray bagged both Dorchester goals, the first coming after pouncing on a defensive error.

Dorchester’s lead lasted until the 71st minute when Davide Pobbe hooked home but Murray was on hand to clinically bury a one-on-one chance after outpacing the Lango defence.

But away skipper Gary Connolly volleyed a free-kick home for a share of the points.

Dorchester made one enforced change to the side that began the 3-0 loss to Salisbury last time out, with the suspended Callum Rose making way for Dom Panesar-Dower.

Callum Thompson was the only other change to the Magpies’ matchday squad.

Before the game, the Magpies announced a renewed stadium sponsorship deal with Clayson Scaffolding for the 2018-19 season.

With the new package coming into instant effect, the Avenue Stadium is now named the Clayson Stadium.

Dorchester began brightly, displaying their usual energy and purpose but were the first to be tested defensively, clearing an early Lango corner.

Murray then steamed down the left to start a bristling Magpies move which culminated in an overhit cross from Kyle Egan.

Dorchester continued their domination of proceedings when Egan cut inside to feed Cameron Allen, who scuffed a left-footed shot to Lango goalkeeper Charlie Burns.

Kings Langley’s only success had been on the break, but a long ball nodded down by the stocky Rene Howe found Italian winger Pobbe, who struck a shot at goal that was brilliantly cut out by a lunging Neil Martin.

And Martin’s intervention proved crucial as Dorchester took the lead in the 30th minute.

A strong backpass was miscontrolled by former Luton professional Kavan Cotter, the right-back’s error allowing Murray to sneak in, round the advancing Burns and slide the ball home into an empty net beyond the covering Langley defence.

Murray’s strike was the first home goal scored on the Clayson Stadium’s new 3G pitch, but the visitors responded well with a spell of pressure, however they could only conjure a tame skyward Howe header that Kingsley Latham easily pouched in the last real action before half-time.

A Ross Carmichael header was touched onto the bar by Burns soon after the resumption, before the centre-back tweaked his knee in superbly denying the pacy Mitchell Weiss a shot at goal after he was set clean through by a long ball.

Dorchester had a Billy Lowes goal ruled out for offside before Kings Langley equalised with a goal out of nothing.

A long ball found Howe who touched on to Pobbe to pivot and volley a looping effort over Latham, who had the sun in his eyeline.

In a strong spell for the visitors, Latham was called upon to deny Callum Adebiyi’s volley from 12 yards after substitute Lee Stobbs’ corner found the left-back too easily.

But the Magpies caught Lango napping when substitute Ash Pope’s neat touch on to Murray presented the winger with a glorious chance which he finished with aplomb to restore the lead on 78 minutes.

However, a foul wide on the left on Adebiyi by Tom Blair, for which he was booked, handed Lango a free-kick with nine minutes left.

Stobbs swung the delivery in to skipper Connolly who nutmegged Latham on the volley to level for a second time.

Having had a big impact since coming on, Stobbs set Weiss through again but Luke Winsper, who enjoyed an excellent game at centre-back in place of Rose, slid in to dispossess the Langley forward.

Pope tested Burns with a stinging 25-yard drive in the dying minutes, while sub Alex Stafie dragged a shot wide after good work on the byline from Murray to earn a corner.

Neither side was able to net again as Steve Thompson’s men were made to settle for a point when all three might have been theirs.

Magpies: Latham, Egan, Martin (C Thompson 63), Winsper, Carmichael, Kite, Murray, Lowes, Allen (Pope 70), Panesar-Dower, Blair (Stafie 82). Subs not used: Edgar, Rodriguez

Kings Langley: Burns, Cotter, Adebiyi, Johnson, Connolly, Hitchcock (Stobbs 63), Godfrey, Coldicott-Stevens, Howe (Toiny-Pendred 90+5), Weiss, Pobbe (Ward 86). Subs not used: Tucker, Fleming

Referee: Iain Parsons

Attendance: 358