Marvellous Dorchester Town undo Wimborne

BY: Neil Walton – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportNeil)


A MARVELLOUS performance from Dorchester Town saw them coast to a 4-2 win over Wimborne Town in their Evo-Stik Southern Premier South clash at Cuthbury.

It took just 73 seconds for the Magpies to score when Cameron Murray shot home on his maiden start for club.

Cameron Allen headed wide before Tom Blair hit the bar as Dorchester dominated early on.

Luke Winsper struck a rasping drive for 2-0 before pouncing on a rebound to add a third after 25 minutes.

And Dorchester notched a fourth when Billy Lowes capitalised on more poor defending to make it 4-0 at half-time.

Wimborne improved after the break as Sam Davidson and Toby Holmes grabbed consolations from a miserable night.

Dorchester boss Steve Thompson made two changes to the side that lost 1-0 at home to Metropolitan Police on Saturday.

In came Harry Kite, making his first appearance since sustaining concussion in a pre-season friendly at Winchester City, and new signing Murray.

The duo replaced Sean Stewart, who was omitted from the Magpies’ squad completely, and Ash Pope, who dropped to the bench.

Pope was joined in the dugout by Alex Stafie, Chris Clarke, Dom Panesar-Dower and Aaron Rodriguez, who made his return to the matchday squad after an absence with a broken foot.

Dorchester’s Mike Edgar and Callum Thompson missed out from the travelling 16 altogether.

If Thompson was looking for a sweeping response from his men after the lacklustre loss to the Met, he will have been delighted as Dorchester began the game much the better side.

In the opening minute, Dorchester had already imposed their high-tempo, pressing style on Wimborne and within 73 seconds they broke their defence down.

Wimborne gloveman Gerard Benfield was culpable as a drop-kick went directly to Blair, who controlled deftly and set Murray through on goal. The winger cushioned a header down before nutmegging Benfield with aplomb.

Four minutes later it should have been 2-0.

Blair was again the architect, pinging a delicious cross to Cameron Allen, who could only steer his header wide when unmarked from 12 yards.

Away skipper Neil Martin was adjudged to give a foul away 25 yards out, but Billy Maybury sent his free-kick curling over in what proved to be Wimborne’s only first-half shot of note.

Thereafter, Dorchester completely dominated as Martin raided down the left before sending in a teasing delivery which was headed to Blair at the back post. The winger was afforded plenty of time to control and bend an effort against the bar with Benfield beaten.

Seconds later, Dorchester had their second, stemming from a throw-in. Ross Carmichael picked out Murray, who fed Winsper, allowing the midfielder to cut inside and drive a sumptuous shot into the top-left corner from 25 yards.

Winsper had his second nine minutes later courtesy of more awful defending. Benfield was far from fault, getting down low to save from Allen’s testing low curler, and springing up well to deny Blair’s follow-up, although the Wimborne’s defence was far too slow in recovering as Winsper buried the second parry.

Kyle Egan then nutmegged Jordan Lee and chipped to Murray at the back post. After controlling, the winger bent his attempt narrowly past the far post.

But just before half-time, Dorchester had their fourth when Blair again undid the sorry Wimborne defence with a raking diagonal pass to Murray, who picked out Lowes, the midfielder spinning away from the grounded Maybury to beat Benfield at his near post.

Upon the resumption, Wimborne started brightly and on 48 minutes pulled a goal back when the visitors could only partially clear a corner to Davidson, who bundled his effort past a diving Kingsley Latham.

Dorchester responded to that concession with a rasping left-footed drive from Allen, before Luke Holmes forced Latham into a flying palm away with a curling shot.

Allen wasted a good opportunity for a fifth when attacking on the break but the final goal came courtesy of Wimborne, who set Toby Holmes through on goal via a long ball, enabling the striker to round Latham and give the scoreline a flattering appearance, such was Dorchester’s first-half dominance.

Wimborne: Benfield, Walker (Penny 64), Lee, Davidson, Arnold, Kellaway (Francis 73), L Holmes, Maybury, T Holmes, Burbidge, Lovell. Subs not used: Walsh, Young

Magpies: Latham, Egan, Martin, Rose, Carmichael, Kite (Panesar-Dower 46), Murray, Winsper, Allen (Pope 82), Lowes, Blair (Rodriguez 68). Subs not used: Stafie, Clarke

Referee: Martin Underhay

Attendance: 535