Dorchester Town and Plymouth Argyle goalless in new 3G thriller

BY: Neil Walton – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportNeil)


DORCHESTER Town were held to a goalless draw by a Plymouth Argyle development side in an enterprising first-ever game on the new 3G pitch at the Avenue Stadium.

Each had numerous chances in an entertaining clash, but the best fell to Magpies’ striker Alex Stafie, who was twice denied by superb Michael Cooper saves.

Dorchester made four changes to the side that began Tuesday’s 3-1 win at Portland United, with gloveman Kingsley Latham, Sean Stewart, Cameron Murray and Neil Martin coming into the side.

Argyle, fielding a youthful development side, started more brightly than the hosts, Luke Jephcott firing powerfully at Kingsley Latham, who gathered at the second attempt.

After Dorchester’s Tom Blair shot wide, Plymouth bundled an effort at goal through Harry Hodges, failing to trouble Latham.

Two chances followed in quick succession as Ash Pope laced an effort wide to end a flowing move before Klaidi Lolos curled over from 18 yards.

Jephcott was proving Argyle’s best outlet and saw a free header easily caught by Latham before excellent interplay between Pope and Kyle Egan allowed the latter to cheekily shoot at keeper Cooper from a tight angle as the Magpies ended the first half in the ascendancy.

Sub Ed Bastick charged down a clearance, leading to a smart save from Cooper after the resumption, before Pope angled a header wide from a Dom Panesar-Dower cross as the hosts continued to threaten.

Bastick’s fellow sub Callum Thompson was immediately involved after coming on, setting up a firm Blair shot before dragging an attempt of his own well wide of goal.

At the other end, Latham had a brief scare as Lolos nearly connected with Jephcott’s deflected strike, but the stopper was able to paw clear before Cameron Sangster belted a shot just wide as the Pilgrims enjoyed a rare spell on the attack.

Plymouth continued to work hard and were nearly rewarded when Jephcott and Lolos again combined, the latter scooting round Latham only to miskick under pressure, his call for a penalty waved away by referee James Durkin.

Sub Stafie enjoyed a fine cameo in the final 20 minutes, forcing Cooper into two sublime reflex saves, but Dorchester could not find a breakthrough as they preserved their unbeaten pre-season campaign with another positive display.

Magpies: Latham, Egan (Morris 89), Martin (Clarke 57), Rose (Fripp 89), Carmichael (Young 83), Stewart (Winsper 46), Murray (Bastick 46), Lowes (Thompson 57), Pope (Stafie 69), Panesar-Dower (Williams 87), Blair. Subs: Hills, Brookes

Plymouth: Cooper, Hodges, Garside, Rooney (Peck 61), Burn, Purrington, Goulty, Sangster, Lolos, Randell (Miller 78), Jephcott. Subs not used: Townsend, Childs, Boyd, Collum, Seery, Skett, Wilson

Referee: James Durkin

Attendance: 285