Dorchester Town undone by late Perry Coles strike

BY: Dorset Echo Sport


THE MAGPIES will consider themselves a little unfortunate not to take at least a point from high-flying Slough Town for whom an 84th minute strike from Perry Coles was enough to earn a sixth straight Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division away victory.

Dorchester boss Steve Thompson named an unchanged starting line-up from the midweek draw at Tiverton after Luke Winsper pulled out through injury during the warm-up. This was the last scheduled first team game on the grass pitch at the Avenue Stadium before work commences on May 1 to lay the Magpies new 3G pitch but unlike the wet and heavy conditions encountered in recent weeks, the final home game was played on a hard and dry pitch which neither side really found to their liking.

Chances were at a premium in a low key first half as the sides struggled to break down their opposition but Antonio Diaz and Ashley Pope combined to set up a chance for Rodriguez, whose low shot was pushed around his near post by Slough keeper, Jack Turner. From a right-wing Diaz corner, Ollie Griggs was well-placed but aimed his header straight at Turner.

Dorchester skipper Chris Weale was called into action on 16 minutes to intercept a long ball from Sean Fraser, then a centre from Guy Hollis was met by Matt Day whose shot was cleared away in front of goal by Kyle Egan.

Referee Iain Parsons later waved play on when it appeared that a Slough striker had handled with both hands, although that Rebels attack abruptly ended when an offside flag was raised.

A free-kick conceded by Neil Martin gave James Dobson a scoring opportunity and with Weale slightly off his line, the lob was attempted forcing the Magpies custodian to back-pedal to save under his crossbar.

A wayward back pass then gifted Dorchester a corner which Tom Blair duly delivered from the left wing but Callum Rose was hustled off the ball at the far post.

Slough saw a succession of shots blocked while Scott Davies for the visitors and Griggs both sent efforts wide.

The closest either side came to breaking the deadlock before the break was a 39th-minute attempt from 30 yards by Warren Harris which crashed off the top of the Dorchester crossbar.

Coles sent an early second-half shot wide having been played through by Manny Williams before a cross from Slough captain, Lee Togwell, was headed by Rose to Dobson who rashly fired high over the goal.

A Diaz free-kick was cleared and eventually fell to Pope who fired wide, before a promising corner from Dobson fell perfectly for Williams, but the Slough striker miskicked at the vital moment.

Thompson introduced substitute Alex Stafie for Pope on 63 minutes but it was Slough who carved out the next chance with Coles meeting a centre from Harris but heading straight at Weale. A push on Stafie gave Dorchester a free-kick chance but Blair’s effort flew well over.

The lively Coles then appeared to be clean through but also fired over from six yards.

A foul by Martin on Williams resulted in a Dobson free kick which was met at the far post by Harris whose bullet header also failed to find the target.

Stafie chased a long clearance from defence but Turner won the race in the visitors goal.

The Magpies carved out their best chance of the match when Egan’s long clearance was played on by Rodriguez for Stafie who opted for a delicate touch to wrong foot Turner but the Slough keeper showed great agility to turn and claw the ball away to safety.

Back came Slough, though, and Dobson’s pass looked to have set Coles away but Billy Lowes challenged to concede a corner which Weale safely gathered.

But a long 84th-minute throw from Hollis into a crowded penalty area fell to Coles at the far post and he drove a low diagonal shot past Weale and over the line despite Egan’s attempts to clear for the only goal of the game.

Rose was moved up front as the Magpies searched for an equaliser but Turner was in no mood to surrender his clean sheet, cutting out long balls from Weale and Blair and clearing a back pass from George Wells.

Slough held on to maintain their fine form ahead of the play-offs, knowing they could still finish second if results go their way.

Magpies: Weale, Egan, Martin, Rose, Clarke, Griggs (Bastick 78), Rodriguez, Lowes, Pope (Stafie 63), Diaz (Panesar-Dower 78),Blair. Subs not used: Carmichael, Brookes

Slough: Turner, Fraser (Nisbet 80), Wells, Hollis, Day, Togwell (Lench 66), Dobson, Davies, Coles, Williams, Harris (Gilkes 76) Subs not used: Dunn, Smart

Referee: Iain Parsons (Salisbury)

Cautions: Wells (foul 84), Williams (foul 90+ 2)

Attendance: 487