Dorchester Town end away win drought at St Ives

BY: Neil Walton – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportNeil)


DORCHESTER Town claimed only their second league away triumph of the season with a 2-1 win over St Ives Town in their Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division clash at Westwood Road.

Ash Pope handed the Magpies an ideal start, latching onto Kyle Egan’s pass before shooting through the legs of goalkeeper Tim Trebes in the game’s third minute.

Pope got his second on 20 minutes via Antonio Diaz’s cross, before St Ives pulled a goal back three minutes later through Danny Kelly, but Saints were largely unthreatening as Dorchester picked up all three points.

Representing the only two changes for Dorchester, Ollie Griggs and Aaron Rodriguez were handed starts for the Magpies, who were without duo Ross Carmichael (asthma) and Luke Winsper (ankle) from the side that started the 4-0 loss to St Neots in the visitors’ previous game.

But there was no place on the bench for Jason Brookes, with Sol Ayunga the only addition to the matchday squad that was selected for the midweek home defeat to St Neots.

Dorchester, who were looking to do the double over St Ives having thrashed them 6-0 at the Avenue Stadium in December, enjoyed a superb start to the return fixture by taking the lead in the third minute.

Defender Egan was the creative influence behind the goal, lifting the ball up for Pope to collect and nutmeg home stopper Trebes.

Griggs, starting in midfield, did well to earn a free-kick after inducing a rash tackle, and a smartly-worked move saw the set-piece taken quickly, presenting Diaz with a chance to shoot, but his effort was easily dealt with by Trebes.

Looking to cement Dorchester’s early dominance, Diaz had the visitors’ next shy at goal, but in rushing his attempt saw the ball sail over the crossbar.

That failure to hit the target was rendered less significant when on-loan Bournemouth forward Pope notched his fifth goal for the Magpies in his eighth game.

Combining for the second goal, Dorchester’s Egan fed Diaz and his delicious cross into the area found Pope, who applied a deadly headed finish on 19 minutes to establish a 2-0 lead.

However, the Magpies’ joy was stubbed out somewhat as Kelly halved the Saints’ deficit just three minutes later.

Dorchester were guilty of failing to deal with a ball through the area and Kelly was on hand to score a simple chance.

After conceding that goal, Dorchester’s heavy pressure on the St Ives goal relented slightly, and they were nearly caught on the break after winning a corner, but were relieved to see the hosts’ shot go tamely wide of captain Chris Weale’s woodwork.

Just before half-time Diaz, who was having another impressive game, created a headed opportunity for Griggs with a teasing delivery from a corner, but the latter’s effort was repelled by Trebes as the scoreline remained 2-1 at the break.

St Ives took off Miles Smith for Phil Draycott at half-time and registered a poor off-target shot before the visitors produced the best chance of a young second half through Aaron Rodriguez.

The former Weymouth winger did excellently well to jag inside but, after holding off a tackle, could not find the target from a dangerous position 10 minutes into the half.

Weale, who had largely been a spectator during the game, was then called into action to catch a harmless St Ives free-kick as the hosts probed for a leveller.

Boss Steve Thompson made his first change in the 67th minute, bringing on Alex Stafie for the quiet Tom Blair as the Magpies looked to add to, rather than protect, their lead.

Thompson then withdrew Pope, starving the striker of a chance to grab a hat-trick, and brought on Dom Panesar-Dower, who quickly saw two chances stopped by Trebes.

Stafie showed nous to create a chance for the midfielder, who witnessed Trebes save his attempt, before another pinpoint Diaz cross allowed him to head at goal, only to see Trebes catch his effort.

However, Dorchester were able to close out a rare away league victory with relative ease and complete a double over a league rival for the first time this campaign, moving them into 19th place after Farnborough’s 1-1 draw at 10-man Frome Town.

St Ives: Treves, Smith (Draycott 46), De’Ath, Groves, Warner-Eley, Baker (Sawyer 85), McGeorge, Snaith (Ogbonna 73), Knowles, Kelly, Rogers. Subs not used: Libertucci, Clark

Magpies: Weale, Egan, Martin, Rose, Clarke, Griggs, Rodriguez, Lowes, Pope (Panesar-Dower 76), Diaz (Bastick 90), Blair (Stafie 67). Sub not used: Ayunga

Attendance: 192