Dorchester sunk by the clinical Saints

BY: Aidan Williams – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportAidan)


DORCHESTER Town were swept away by a St Neots Town side that capitalised on a bad evening of defending for the Magpies in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division.

Two goals in either half sealed a one-sided scoreline for the away side at a sodden Avenue Stadium.

The Magpies started on the front foot for the opening five minutes.

Antonio Diaz dawdled on the edge of the box and did not pull the trigger and the chance faded away.

The hosts, while doing good early work on the attack, were not at the races early on defensively as the Saints grabbed the opening goal after six minutes.

Kyran Wiltshire took advantage of hesitation from the home side inside the box and passed to Thomas Meechan who fired in past home keeper Chris Weale.

Dorchester were not defending well in the early stages and Wiltshire was proving influential for the away side as they began to dominate. A pass from Sembie-Ferris found Wiltshire but he fired over from 17 yards.

Wiltshire then got into the box but fired narrowly wide of the far post. The visitors again had another chance as, from a Dylan Williams’ corner, David Bridges rose above Weale but headed wide.

Ultimately, the pressure on Dorchester told again, as Wiltshire crossed into Sembie-Ferris who fired in from 15 yards.

The pitch was showing the brunt of the rain at this point and Williams brought a great save from Weale from midway inside the box as St Neots sought a third.

Dorchester began to wake up however, as Tom Blair swung in a corner that forced Luke Knight to clear before Diaz fired wide from a cross by Ashley Pope.

Diaz then tried to get the ball to Pope waiting just outside the box but the ball was intercepted.

The Magpies should to have gone in trailing by just a single goal with a superb chance for Diaz and Billy Lowes.

Firstly, Diaz from outside the box swung in a powerful curling effort that stung Finley Iron’s palms who parried away, but it fell into the path of Lowes who should have scored from six yards.

The two teams went in at the break with the Magpies having regained composure, but still facing a deficit to a side that looked confident on the attack.

The second half started dreadfully for Dorchester as early on in the half the Saints bagged a third.

A lovely flick on from Bridges allowed Meechan to find Nabil Shariff who slid the ball past Weale for the third.

The home side responded to this third goal by taking off Winsper for Ollie Griggs as they looked to get back into the game.

Meechan then had another opportunity but hit a swerving shot just high.

Martin fired in an ambitious shot from 30 yards that forced Iron into a great save.

Blair then crossed in but could not find a team-mate as the Magpies began acquitting themselves well.

The Saints did not have to wait long for a fourth however, as a cross into the box saw a scramble where the away side hit the bar twice in quick succession. Dorchester cleared but Shariff was on hand to fire home.

Tempers began to boil over and, after a scuffle broke out, both Martin and Saints’ captain Knight were booked.

The Magpies were putting some good passages of play together offensively but a better final touch could have masked their defensive frailties.

Ross Carmichael went close to getting a goal back for Dorchester but his headed effort from substitute Alex Stafie’s cross produced a superb save from Iron.

The Magpies nearly got a late goal through Rose after a scramble but his effort hit the bar.

Dorchester are away to St Ives Town on Saturday (3pm).

Magpies: Weale, Egan, Clarke, Rose, Carmichael (Panesar-Dower 77), Winsper (Griggs 49), Martin, Lowes (Stafie 63), Pope, Diaz, Blair. Subs not used: Bastick, Brooks

St Neots: Iron, Wood, McDevitt, Knight (Buddle 80), Bridges, Parr, Sembie-Ferris, Wiltshire, Meechan (Sinclair 63), Shariff, Williams (Butler 67). Subs not used: Broccoli

Referee: James Robinson

Attendance: 257