Dorchester Town sunk by late Darren Foxley goal

BY: Neil Walton – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportNeil)


DORCHESTER Town conceded seven minutes from time as Bishop’s Stortford ground out a 1-0 win at the ProKit UK Stadium in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division.

Darren Foxley was the Blues’ saviour, finishing from close range after Tom Clifford’s free-kick had hit the woodwork.

It was no more than the hosts deserved having hit the uprights three times, creating numerous chances and having a goal ruled out for a foul, while Dorchester created just two chances of note.

Sam Lanahan worked home goalkeeper Tyler McCarthy with a first-half header, before the home stopper pulled off a wonderful save to deny Luke Winsper and prevent the visitors from earning what would have been an undeserved point.

There was just one change to the Dorchester side that started the 4-0 win over Farnborough, with Lanahan coming in for the unavailable Phil Ormrod to make his 100th appearance for the county town team.

Dorchester only fielded four subs, with David Jerrard, Tom Blair, Dom Panesar-Dower and Archie Collins retaining their places on the bench.

The Blues also made one change to their previous starting XI as Callum Taylor replaced Jordan Westcott.

A cagey opening 10 minutes was dispelled by a sudden burst of action when Dipo Akinyemi’s dinked finish over the advancing Chris Weale was disallowed for a push in the build-up.

Akinyemi’s effort sparked the Blues into motion and the striker was in action two minutes later when his volley was cracked over the bar from 25 yards.

Conjuring a third effort at goal in four minutes, the Blues worked another opening when Dean Ager’s ball found Foxley on the left of the area, only for the striker to fire over.

Dorchester’s quiet first half was summed up when Ed Bastick, who was released on the left, darted back and fed Neil Martin, whose cross was easily claimed by Blues’ goalkeeper Tyler McCarthy.

Martin’s cross broke a brief lull in the match and on 35 minutes Ager flicked a Tom Clifford cross wide of the target, before Dorchester created their first real opening.

Kyle Egan’s free-kick was headed at McCarthy by Lanahan, forcing the stopper to parry, but with Ross Carmichael lurking, the goalkeeper was able to collect just in time.

Ager then tried a harmless shot from 20 yards before Martin produced an outstanding goal-line clearance to deflect a Foxley effort onto the bar, before George Casey slashed the rebound over.

Bishop’s Stortford were forced into their first change in first-half stoppage time as Akinyemi picked up a knock to his side and was replaced by Westcott seconds before the interval.

And it was Westcott who picked up where the home side left off before the break, producing some neat work before Josh Simpson tested Weale from 20 yards.

On the hour mark, Foxley placed a side-footed effort wide of the target as Bishop’s Stortford continued to dominate.

But Dorchester finally kicked into life with two wayward Antonio Diaz efforts, the first laid on by Lanahan, before the winger shot wide after exchanging passes with Billy Lowes.

Diaz’s attempts briefly halted the Blues’ momentum, and Westcott forced Weale into a save, before captain Marvel Ekpiteta lashed a shot against the post from the resultant corner.

However, with seven minutes remaining, Bishop’s Stortford finally got the goal their performance merited when Tom Clifford’s shot struck a post, allowing Foxley to tuck home.

They were nearly robbed of the win when Luke Winsper’s goalbound effort was superbly saved by McCarthy, but saw the Magpies off to extend Dorchester’s dismal away league record to one win from 12 games ahead of the trip to Weymouth on Boxing Day for the Ridgeway derby.

Bishop’s Stortford: McCarthy, Casey, Clifford, Simpson, Ekpiteta, Robinson, Ager (Hughes 90+1), Thomas, Taylor (Mason 71), Akinyemi (Westcott 45+3), Foxley. Subs not used: Brassington, Rogers

Magpies: Weale, Egan, Martin, Rose (Blair 89), Carmichael, Winsper, Bastick (A Collins 61), Lowes, Lanahan (Jerrard 71), Diaz, Baghdadi. Sub not used: Panesar-Dower

Referee: Neil West

Attendance: 228