Ten-man Dorchester Town overcome by Royston

BY: Neil Walton – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportNeil)


TEN-MAN Dorchester Town were defeated 3-1 by Royston Town at Garden Walk in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier League.

After a frenetic opening which saw both sides rain shots in at goal, Dorchester took the lead in the 20th minute through Tom Blair after debutant and former Weymouth winger Antonio Diaz’s assist.

Dorchester were pegged back by Royston after the hosts enjoyed a purple patch at the end of the half, James Potton sweeping home from John Frendo’s pass.

But Dorchester were undone by the loss of captain Gary Bowles, who was sent off for an ill-judged tackle on 70 minutes.

From the subsequent free-kick Royston substitute Josh Osinyan headed past goalkeeper Chris Weale to hand the Crows the lead.

And the hosts sealed the victory when Weale’s wayward clearance was diverted by Josh Castiglione to Osinyan to grab his second header of the game.

Magpies’ boss Steve Thompson made five changes to the starting XI that kicked off the 2-0 Dorset Senior Cup quarter-final defeat at Wimborne Town, as Kyle Egan, Chris Clarke, Aaron Rodriguez, Blake Davies and Mo Baghdadi made way for Ed Bastick, Neil Martin, Diaz, Blair and David Jerrard.

Diaz made the starting line-up after completing a deal to join the county town side on a work experience loan.

Dorchester were only able to name three substitutes, with Rodriguez, Baghdadi, Clarke and Egan omitted from the match-day squad altogether.

There was also no place in the Magpies’ squad for injured duo Sam Lanahan and Phil Ormrod.

Bastick made a near-instant mark on the game as his raid forward was halted by Crows’ keeper Josh Tibbetts, who pawed the ball away after the winger attempted to bypass him.

Royston forward Frendo then wasted the hosts’ first opportunity of the game, skying his effort, before the Magpies created two more chances of their own.

Jerrard manufactured a shot from his own run to force Tibbetts into a save, before Diaz curled a shot over from 18 yards after Bastick’s set-up.

Billy Lowes then had a strike deflected for a harmless corner after Bowles’ cross was knocked down by Blair.

In a brisk opening, the next action was created by the Crows as Castiglione’s long-range shot was dropped by veteran goalkeeper Weale, who quickly gathered the loose ball.

Weale’s minor error was quickly forgotten when Blair made use of poor marking to hand Dorchester the lead on 20 minutes, turning and firing past Tibbetts into the bottom corner after a smart run from Diaz.

After recovering from the concession of the goal, Royston took the ascendancy as joint top-scorer Scott Bridges lashed a half-volley over the bar.

Weale was again called into action as the home side stepped up the pressure, producing a fine low save to deny Martel Powell.

Dorchester could not hold on to their lead into the second half as, after Harry Darling’s header flew over, the Crows equalised from an excellent move.

Lee Chapell’s pinpoint cross found Frendo, allowing him to set up Potton for a sweetly-struck shot that levelled the score at half-time.

In an opening to the second half that was markedly quieter than the first, Royston grazed the far upright when Castiglione’s cross skimmed off a mass of bodies in the area.

But with 20 minutes to go Dorchester suffered a major double blow as they lost a man and conceded a second goal.

Captain Gary Bowles was the guilty party, executing a poor, late tackle and receiving a straight red card after a melee between the opposing players.

With centre-back Ross Carmichael also off the field, Dorchester were momentarily down to nine men and Royston capitalised to maximum effect when substitute Osinyan headed home the resultant free-kick with his first touch of the game on 72 minutes.

Dorchester responded to the setbacks when Diaz went on another mazy run, but could only blaze a shot over.

The Magpies could not live with the aerial ability of Osinyan though and, moments after he volleyed over a Castiglione cross, he headed home from the same provider to punish Weale for a clearance that fell straight to Castiglione.

Royston were able to comfortably see the game out and inflict only the fourth league defeat on Dorchester in 13 games since Thompson’s tenure began.

Thompson’s men next play at home to Stratford Town on Monday (7.45pm) in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier League.

Royston: Tibbetts, Scott-Morriss, Chapell, Sc Bridges, Darling, Brathwaite, Potton (Canham 86), Thomas, Frendo (Osinyan 68), Powell (Asafu-Adjeyi 59), Castiglione. Subs not used: Kennelly, Tewkesbury

Magpies: Weale, Bastick (Ayunga 86), Martin, Rose, Carmichael, Bowles, Blair (Davies 78), Lowes, Diaz, Panesar-Dower, Jerrard (Brookes 86)