Heybridge Swifts stun Dorchester Town in thrilling finale

BY: Neil Walton – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportNeil)

HEYBRIDGE Swifts dumped Dorchester Town out of the FA Trophy at the second qualifying round stage in a smash-and-grab 2-1 win at the Avenue Stadium.

Phil Ormrod had given the Magpies a third-minute lead, planting home a header from Mo Baghdadi’s excellent cross.

But the hosts were punished for missing several chances by their Isthmian League North opponents, who struck twice in the final seven minutes through Sam Bantick and Luke Callander to stun the home faithful.

Dorchester made one change to the starting XI that began the 2-1 win over Biggleswade Town last weekend, with goalscorer Callum Rose coming in for Billy Lowes.

Gary Bowles shook off a knee knock and started in midfield, with Lowes on the bench.

Lowes was joined on the bench by new signing Blake Davies, who on Friday signed a non-contract deal for the Magpies.

Davies, 19, is a Welsh under-19 international forward and has previous Southern Premier Division experience with Frome.

On Armistice Day, there was a minute’s silence before kick-off, which was impeccably-observed.

And it took Dorchester less than three minutes to make the breakthrough via a wonderful move.

Baghdadi’s controlled backheel to Dom Panesar-Dower enabled him to escape down the left, with the latter playing the winger in.

Baghdadi dug out a superb chipped cross to the near post and Ormrod was able to bury a header past Danny Sambridge to open the scoring.

Dorchester had made their best start to a half this season, hitting their passing stride immediately, and they worked another opening three minutes later.

Callum Rose and Kyle Egan negotiated a tight press from the Swifts, before Egan’s clipped ball was nodded by Lanahan to Ormrod, whose chest down presented him with a chance that he could only blaze over.

Steve Thompson’s men were firmly on top and Aaron Rodriguez’s swinging free-kick created their next chance for Bowles, who could only skew a free header wide from 12 yards.

Swifts worked their way back into the game as Harrison Chatting’s teasing cross found Bantick at the far post, but his header back across goal evaded everyone with just a touch needed.

Bantick then raided down the right and found Juan Luque, only for the winger to prod wide at the near post.
Heybridge registered their first shot on target when Ryan Henshaw nodded a free-kick harmlessly at Chris Weale, before Dorchester’s next big chance.

Egan and Rodriguez combined, with the latter playing an incisive reverse pass to Lanahan. As the midfielder bore down on goal, Swifts’ keeper Sambridge slipped but Lanahan could only shoot straight at him as he recovered.

Moments before the break, Heybridge should have levelled when Panesar-Dower was dispossessed after trying an impudent flick, allowing Chatting to feed Bantick. The forward did well to cut inside, but drilled his shot outside of the near post with Weale beaten.

Lanahan then almost finished a deflected cross, but the Magpies led after an entertaining half.
In the second period Dorchester began to tire, but Ormrod did register a shot on target despite having his shirt pulled, spinning into space and shooting at Sambridge, who parried clear.

Heybridge, who stuck with the Magpies despite having to deal with several openings, almost levelled when substitute Kreshnic Krasniqi’s long throw evaded the Dorchester defence, enabling Swifts’ captain Lewis Dark to stab an effort at goal.

Krasniqi was having an increasing influence on the game and his inswinging corner was powerfully headed at goal by fellow sub Ricky Sappleton, with Weale equal to the task.

With 83 minutes gone, Dorchester were flagging and Callander’s chipped cross found Bantick, who brilliantly cut inside and curled beyond Weale into the far corner.

There was still time for Heybridge to deliver a killer touch on 88 minutes as Bantick broke forward and fed Callander to dip a shot past Weale, who got a slight touch to the ball.

Weale went forward for a corner as Dorchester searched for a replay, but Heybridge’s lethal counter-attacking almost got them a third as Bantick saw a powerful effort saved in a frantic finale.

Magpies: Weale, Egan, Martin (Davies 90+1), Rose, Carmichael, Bowles, Rodriguez, Lanahan (Jerrard 84), Ormrod (Blair 84), Panesar-Dower, Baghdadi. Subs not used: Collins, Lowes

Heybridge: Sambridge, Ramon, Sampayo, Dark, Henshaw, Cawley, Chatting (Krasniqi 58), Griffiths (Sappleton 71), Callander, Bantick, Luque (Gardner 84). Subs not used: Conway, Siligato

Attendance: 319

Referee: Craig Scriven (Wedmore)