Phil Ormrod’s double downs Basingstoke

BY: Neil Walton – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportNeil)

A PHIL Ormrod double sent Dorchester through to the second qualifying round of the Buildbase FA Trophy with a 2-1 victory over Basingstoke Town at the Avenue Stadium. Basingstoke dominated the first half and wasted numerous chances with Sam Argent, Sam Smart and Ben Wright all going close.

But Ormrod came on for the injured Rory Fallon at half-time and changed the game as he fired home from Sam Lanahan’s pass before scoring a penalty after Lanahan was fouled by Shane Hollamby.

Dorchester held on for the win despite Argent’s last-gasp header.

Magpies’ boss Steve Thompson made just one change to the starting line-up that began the 1-1 draw with the Dragons on Tuesday.

Fallon came in and made his home debut in place of Ormrod, who dropped to the bench. Mo Baghdadi made his home debut after being named in the starting XI, and there was also a spot in the matchday squad for Plymouth loanee Callum Rose.

Before the match, there was an immaculately-observed minute’s silence for Leslie Phillips, chairman of the Magpies’ supporters’ club, who this week died aged 84.

Basingstoke began on the front foot as speedy winger Smart raided down the left and struck a deflected effort that just evaded Wright at the back post, with the resultant corner coming to nothing.

Dorchester took their time to settle but Aaron Rodriguez created what proved to be their best moment of the half when his mazy dribble into the area was thwarted by Colm McAdden in the Dragons’ goal.

With 15 minutes gone, Basingstoke were establishing themselves as the dominant side and they were unlucky not to score with two excellent opportunities in a minute.

First, Hollamby rose highest to power a header against the unknowing Chris Weale from a pinpoint Wright corner, before Smart flicked a header from six yards that skimmed off target.

The movement of Wright, Smart and in particular Argent was proving tricky for the Magpies to contain and Argent was the creator for Basingstoke’s next two chances, with Dorchester unable to stem the constant flow of attacks.

Argent curled a weak effort at Weale shortly before a delicious backheel set up George Bennett, who fizzed a shot across goal with Weale beaten.

Argent was the architect once more soon afterwards, gliding past Ross Carmichael in the area with a flurry of step-overs and crossing for Wright to thump a volley into the side-netting from an angle.

Dorchester could offer little up front in a disappointing opening half, with Fallon easily dealt with by Dragons’ centre-backs Charlie Kennedy and Hollamby.

The New Zealand international’s impact was limited by a hamstring injury as Ormrod replaced him at half-time.

And against the run of play, Ormrod put the Magpies in front moments after a Lanahan header was saved by McAdden.

Lanahan was the creator, getting to the byline and crossing for Ormrod, who smashed home from six yards in the 52nd minute.

Basingstoke almost levelled four minutes later but Bennett’s crisp 20-yard half-volley was smartly gathered by Weale.

But the goal had transformed Dorchester’s play and they were to double their advantage after a piece of good fortune.

An attempted clearance ricocheted off Baghdadi and into the path of Lanahan, who beat Hollamby to the ball and drew the foul to earn a clear penalty.

It was left to Ormrod to calmly apply the finishing touch, sending McAdden the wrong way in placing his shot to the keeper’s left.

As the half wore on, Lanahan was having a greater influence on proceedings and he was again picked out by a fabulous Rodriguez cross, only to see his header comfortably saved by McAdden.

The Magpies’ excellent second-half display was almost disrupted when Smart beat Carmichael easily before picking out substitute Leslie Sackey, who blazed a volley well wide of goal.

Basingstoke did earn a consolation deep into injury-time when Argent stooped to head home a Bennett free-kick for a deserved goal, but that proved to be the last kick of the game as Dorchester progressed to the next round.

Magpies: Weale, Egan, Martin, Carmichael, Bowles, Lanahan (Rose 87), Rodriguez (Bastick 80), Lowes, Fallon (Ormrod 46), Panesar-Dower, Baghdadi. Subs not used: Jerrard, Ross

Basingstoke: McAdden, Johnson-Schuster, Wohlfiel (Sackey 77), Collier, Hollamby, Kennedy, Atkinson, Bennett, Wright (Bunting 67), Argent, Smart. Subs not used: Hunt, Macauley

Attendance: 290

Referee: Martin Bloor (Lymington)