Kyle Egan strikes late leveller for Dorchester Town

BY: Neil Walton – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportNeil)


A LAST ditch strike from Kyle Egan rescued a point for the Magpies who were forced to play with ten men for 80 minutes following the 10th minute dismissal of first choice keeper Chris Weale for denying Lewis Toomey a goal scoring opportunity.

That meant a sudden introduction for newly-signed former AFC Bournemouth youth keeper Chad Collins who endured some early nervy moments and conceded a goal to Toomey’s speculative cross-cum-shot after just 16 minutes.

After that Collins grew in confidence and with the occasional help of his defence and the woodwork kept an otherwise clean sheet which proved critical to the Magpies ultimate revival.

The injured Crit Clarke, Luke Winsper and Phil Ormrod, who all took part in the midweek mauling of Gosport Borough were replaced in the starting line-up by Neil Martin, Billy Lowes and the unfortunate Tom Blair who found himself substituted early to enable Collins to take the keeper’s gloves.

An early David Hutton corner was punched clear by Weale before a pass from Adam Watkins set Toomey clear. Weale’s challenge denied him a goal scoring chance and referee Lewis Sandoe brandished the red card.

The ensuing Hutton free-kick was ultimately faced by Collins but it was the woodwork which saved Dorchester on that occasion. Shortly after, the ball drifted out wide and was chased by Toomey who turned to produce an angled effort which looped over Collins into the top corner to give Chesham the lead.

Gary Bowles then met a David Jerrard corner but could only head over while the Generals keeper, Hafid Al’Droubi made his first save after 25 minutes to catch a looping Martin header.

Toomey fired wide across the face of the Magpies goal while Watkins went very close with a low drive which seem to roll up off the diving Collins and bounce off the crossbar. Fortunately for the Magpies on loan Northampton striker Joe Iaciofano was offside when he netted the rebound.

A good build-up involving Jerrard and Dom Panesar-Dower carved out a chance for Aaron Rodriguez whose quick turn was more impressive than the accuracy of his shot.

Panesar-Dower was becoming quite a handful for the Chesham defence sending one shot wide before having another saved.

But only a fine block from Ross Carmichael cut out an Oran Swales shot at the other end.

From a Swales centre, Collins was well positioned to save a downward header from Iaciofano, Hutton curled a free kick wide while Martin blocked a Swales effort as the Generals marched on to the half-time interval.

Chesham knew that they needed a second goal and while there was only one goal separating the sides, the Magpies would still have a chance. For a while it looked like that second goal would come.

Watkins lobbed the crossbar from 20 yards and Iaciofano sent a low shot wide. Dorchester were creating little although Panesar-Dower had a header saved and sent a 20 yard shot dipping just over.

Carmichael diverted a Hutton centre over his own bar, Collins saved a Watkins effort and Iaciofano wasted a great opportunity heading a left wing centre from Jhai Dillon against the far post.

Chesham were soon regretting their failure to convert a least one of their chances. The referee had just signalled two additional minutes when the Magpies, who had pushed Egan up to support the front men, launched one last attack.

Lowes, substitute Tom Bearwish and Martin all played their part but it was Egan who received the ball on the six yard line and coolly worked the space to turn and drill a low shot under Al’Droubi for a stunning equaliser.

There could have been an even better outcome for the Magpies but a very last minute Martin free kick was saved by the Generals keeper.

Dorchester: Weale, Egan, Martin, Storey, Carmichael, Bowles c, Rodriguez, Blair (Collins 10), Lowes, Panesar-Dower (Vance 79), Jerrard (Bearwish 72). Subs not used: Corbridge, Brookes

Chesham: Al’Droubi, Crilley, Dillon, Bevans, Murphy c, Green (Reynolds 46), Hutton, Watkins (Bates 72), Toomey (Bush 68), Iaciofano, Swales. Sub not used: Al-Sahib

Referee: Lewis Sandoe (Christchurch)

Attendance: 380