Rodriguez hits treble as Dorchester put seven past Gosport

BY: Neil Walton – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportNeil)


AARON Rodriguez hit a hat-trick as Dorchester Town smacked seven goals past a poor Gosport Borough side at the Avenue Stadium.

A Rodriguez double, plus Ross Carmichael and David Jerrard goals gave the Magpies a 4-0 half-time lead.

They extended that to 6-0 courtesy of Rodriguez’s third and Dom Panesar-Dower before Iffy Onwuachu and Max Smith netted for Boro.

But captain Gary Bowles’ late finish completed a miserable night for the league’s bottom side.

Dorchester made two changes to the side that began the 4-1 loss at Hereford on Saturday, Chris Clarke and Panesar-Dower coming in for Neil Martin and Billy Lowes, who dropped to the bench.

Troubled Gosport could only name one substitute – Connor May – as they sought to earn their first win of the season.

A youthful Boro side were hemmed into their own half by Dorchester from the very first whistle, who were audibly instructed by boss Steve Thompson to “hassle” Boro in their own half.

Panesar-Dower carried out those orders to perfection in the sixth minute, robbing Gosport of the ball and feeding Phil Ormrod, whose curling effort climbed just over the far-right post.

Minutes later, Luke Winsper drove a 35-yard effort narrowly wide before Jordan Storey rattled the far post with a downward header. But the Magpies claimed a deserved lead on 19 minutes when Rodriguez/Ormrod slipped the ball in from the angle.

Dorchester had their second two minutes later when Ross Carmichael rose highest to power a Jerrard corner into the net.

The Magpies continued to press as their domination began to take its toll on the visitors, but Winsper could only head into the side-netting.

Thompson’s men finished the half strongly and were able to add a further two goals to their tally in two minutes. Firstly, Egan had all the time in the world to slide in Rodriguez and the winger cut inside before lashing a finish past Lewis Watch.

On 44 minutes, Jerrard superbly bent an effort inside the far post. A 4-0 half-time lead would not have flattered Dorchester but Gosport nearly put a blemish on their copybook when registering their first effort at goal, Ousman Saidy heading wide from a corner.

Dorchester began the second half as they did the first, with Gosport continually being found out by a Magpies’ midfield.

One such player, Winsper, received the ball with embarrassing regularity and, in a sign of the visitors’ frustration, he was chopped down by Matt Buse for the first booking of the game.

Winsper was hauled off by Thompson as a precaution, but after Ormrod wasted two glorious chances, the Magpies notched their fifth as Rodriguez latched on to a through ball before cutting inside and burying a finish.

On 70 minutes, Dorchester got a sixth via their best move of the match. A wonderful flick by Jerrard laid the ball off for Panesar-Dower, whose shot from 25 yards curled home.

Gosport were not to be downhearted and they promptly scored twice in six minutes. The first was a lovely move as Alfie Lis found Curt Watts, his cross putting the ball on a plate for Onwuachu to poke past Weale.

Max Smith then took advantage of substitute Jon Vance’s profligacy in possession to dink a shot over Weale. But Bowles had the final say as he lifted a seventh over Watch after Blair’s clever lay off.

Magpies: Weale, Egan, Clarke, Storey, Carmichael, Bowles, Rodriguez (Vance 70), Winsper (Lowes 53), Ormrod (Blair 64), Panesar-Dower, Jerrard. Subs not used: Cafer, Martin

Gosport: Watch, Page, Medway, Lis, Saidy, Sanders, Smith, Buse (May 66), Onwuachu, Woodward, Watts

Attendance: 325

Referee: Lee Rutter (Poole)