Dorchester denied in Yellows thriller

BY: Neil Walton – Dorset Echo Sport (@EchosportNeil)


DORCHESTER Town were pegged back to 3-3 by a last-minute Connor Calcutt goal as Farnborough stole a share of the points in their Evo-Stik Southern League Premier clash.

A Sam Lanahan brace and a goal from new signing Oliver Taylor gave the Magpies a 3-0 half-time lead.

Boro had other ideas and saw Perry Coles and Nic Ciardini score before Calcutt’s decisive intervention.

Dorchester named Taylor in their starting line-up, the striker one of two changes to the starting XI that began the 1-0 win at Dunstable Town on Saturday, along with Jamie Beasley.

The Magpies made a superb start to the game when Lanahan earned a corner and promptly rose highest from the set-piece to head home after two minutes.

Boro thought they had equalised soon afterwards when 42-year-old veteran striker Jamie Cureton netted, but his effort was ruled out for offside.

But it was the visitors who extended their lead against the run of play when a long free-kick found Tom Blair at the by-line and his cross to the far post was met by Lanahan who bagged his second header of the game on 15 minutes.

Lanahan, who had sustained a groin problem at Dunstable on Saturday, could have made it three on 23 minutes but he pulled a Blair drag-back wide of goal.

Magpies’ stopper Chris Weale was called into action just before the break when Josh Huggins volleyed goalwards.

It proved a crucial save as deep in first-half stoppage-time Taylor nipped in and lifted the ball over home keeper Luke Cairney to make it 3-0 at half-time.

Despite the scoreline, Farnborough had created several chances and they finally took one early in the second half when Cureton quickly took a free-kick to Coles, who slammed home past Weale.

Farnborough were firmly on top and the hosts made it 3-2 when Ciardini fired home from Keith Emmerson’s pass.

Jamie Beasley squandered a good chance for Dorchester before the Yellows upped the pressure as the half wore on, Weale pulling off another fantastic save to deny Coles late on.

But the keeper was guilty of picking up a backpass which led to an indirect free-kick from which Calcutt headed home to earn the hosts a point.

Farnborough: Cairney, Hammond (Barton 75), Hutchings (Saville 86), Southam, Emmerson, Huggins, Forbes, Calcutt, Cureton, Coles, Ciardini. Subs not used: Evans, Saville, Upward

Magpies: Weale, Egan, Martin (Clarke 82), Storey, Carmichael, Winsper, Blair, Lowes, Taylor (Ormrod 57), Lanahan, Beasley (Bowles 71). Subs not used: Ross, Jevon.

Attendance: 222