Dorchester Town well beaten by the five-star Brakes

BY: Phil Spencer – Dorset Echo Sport


Dorchester Town fell foul to a five-star performance as they were well beaten by high-flyers Leamington.

This result makes it five defeats in a row for the Magpies who now look certainties to be involved in a relegation scrap.

The Magpies went into the game still looking for their first points in the league since manager Craig Laird took charge just over a month ago, with them sitting just six points ahead of the relegation zone.

Leamington were sitting in fourth position, just three points from second with two games in hand, and with the best defence in the league, Laird’s misfiring men knew they were in for a tough afternoon.

Laird welcomed new signing Oliver Mehew, who joined on loan from Forest Green, into his starting line-up, alongside Ollie Griggs and Lewis Powell who replaced David Jerrard, Ben Wood and Chris Dillon who is out for the rest of the season.

It was a disastrous start for the Magpies as they went 1-0 down after 12 minutes. Goalkeeper Tony Breeden lofted a free kick forward, which was flicked on by Jack Edwards towards Ahmed Obeng who peeled away from his marker all too easily to fire past Shane Murphy.

Leamington nearly made it two as James Mace found space eight yards out, only to be denied by a perfectly timed tackle from Franklyn Clarke.

Although the lead was doubled just minutes later with a sublime team goal as Edwards and Obeng exchanged passes before playing in Callum Powell who fired home to make it 2-0.

Obeng was a constant threat down the right hand side, and created chaos on numerous occasions, most notably skipping past Ollie Griggs only to be denied by the cross bar just before half time.

The second half started on an optimistic note as Mehew used his pace to round Breedon in the Leamington goal, before crossing into an empty penalty area in an encouraging passage of play.

But this didn’t last as the hosts scored two in quick succession, first as Courtney Baker-Richardson and then James Mace put the game beyond doubt for Leamington.

It appeared that the wheels had well and truly come off for the Magpies, as the Brakes made it five after 72 minutes when sub Rob Thompson-Brown slotted the ball past Murphy from 20 yards.

Dorchester managed their first shot on target after 88 minutes but defeat today makes it a concerning nine games without a win.

Leamington: Breeden, Taundry (Gregory 74), Gudger, Pond, Hood, Mace, Baker- Richardson, Goddard, Obeng, Edwards (Magunda 69), Powell

Subs not used: Thompson-Brown, George, Gittings

Magpies: Murphy, Oldring, Williams, Vance, Walker, Clarke, Bassett, Griggs, Powell (Wood 84), Mehew (Mitchell 71), Martin (Blair 71)

Subs not used: Brookes, Nicolson

Referee: Mr Matt Law

Attendance: 405