Brave Dorchester respond to pick up a point at King’s Lynn

BY: Dan Rose – Dorset Echo Sport


IT ALMOST seemed fitting that, in what is set to be Mark Jermyn’s final away game in charge of Dorchester Town, his side rallied from two goals down to secure a 3-3 draw at King’s Lynn Town. With the fog rolling in and in terrible conditions at the Walks Stadium, Jermyn’s men seemed almost down and out heading into the final 15 minutes at 3-1 behind.

But the character in the county town setup Jermyn and assistant Nick Crittenden have instilled in their players shone through, as they picked themselves up off the canvas to stun their opposition and make sure they had something to show for their efforts in the end.

Speaking after the game, Jermyn told Echosport: “All round it was an extremely good away performance. We went there and gave everything we could on the day.

“It boiled down to our players’ camaraderie and togetherness.”

The opening goal of the contest came for the Magpies after just three minutes.

A through-ball from Lewis Morgan in the middle of the park found Dorchester’s Tom Blair in the box, who steered the ball past a static Alex Street in the Lynn goal for 1-0.

But just four minutes short of the break, the home side were level. A free-kick was whipped into the box by Michael Clunan after Ryan Hawkins was pushed in the back. There was Ryan Fryatt to rise highest and head the ball in at the far post.

As the fog continued to cause a problem, Lynn then took the lead through Clunan, who capped off a slick breakaway coming out of the gloom on the far side of the field.

It was then 3-1 as Fryatt popped up at the far post once again to extend the home side’s advantage but the county town side were far from finished.

After the referee consulted both benches about conditions and decided to carry on, the Magpies, who had their say about the gloominess at the Walks Stadium, soon pulled a goal back.

Jake Smeeton ran at the home defence and unleashed a left-foot strike into the net from 18 yards out – a sublime finish on 75 minutes to get his team back in the hunt.

Magpies’ assistant Crittenden, who was listed as a substitute, was actually booked for his dissent from the touchline with his team still a goal down, but the away side sensed a point was on the cards, and they soon earned it.

Just 10 minutes from time, substitute David Jerrard, who was dropped to the bench ahead of the encounter, restored parity and earned his team the draw.

He checked inside and drilled an effort under keeper Street for 3-3.

Matt Oldring was dismissed for the Magpies for his second yellow card late on, but it was not to matter too much as Dorchester made the lengthy trip back with a point to show for their efforts.

“At 3-1 down it was extremely foggy, as everyone was aware of,” Jermyn added.

“The players just wanted to get through the game.

“The guys just pulled together more than they have done for the whole season really. They dug deep for each other.

“Once they got one back I felt our third was inevitable because we were the ones that were the driving force.”

Magpies: Murphy, Oldring, Smeeton, Martin, Walker, Dillon (Jermyn), Blair (Brookes), Morgan, Wood, Bassett, Lea (Jerrard). Sub not used: Crittenden

Attendance: 568