Late Slough strike sinks valiant Dorchester

BY: Josh Donaldson Dorset Echo Sport


A late goal from Guy Hollis consigned Dorchester Town to their first defeat in three games as they went down 2-1 against Slough Town at Arbour Park.

Nathan Walker got the Magpies off to a flying start with a simple tap-in after 10 minutes.

But, the hosts levelled through Charlie Moone 13 minutes later as they started to exert their dominance.

After a half where the county town side had soaked up a lot of Rebels’ pressure, they were stung with two minutes to go after Guy Hollis rifled home a shot from the edge of the box to end the away side’s admirable resistance.

Mark Jermyn made three changes from the side that drew 0-0 against Redditch United. He brought himself in to the starting line-up in place of Nick Crittenden, who picked up a calf injury on Saturday, meaning he was only fit enough for the bench.

Meanwhile, Dory Yates and Mario Mateus dropped to the bench in place of David Jerrard and Neil Martin.

The game, being played on a 3G pitch, started evenly with both sides trying their luck from range but, to no real effect.

However, in their first real attack that had fluidity, the visitors took the lead. Some great interplay down the left allowed Martin to get to the by-line. He found Walker with a low cross and the target man made no mistake with a simple tap-in to score his seventh league goal of the season.

The setback seemed to invigorate the hosts as they went onto the attack. Warren Harris had a great chance to level the game up after some silky football from the Rebels but, he managed to flash a shot wide of the mark.

The pressure told in the 23rd minute as the hosts equalised. With Mark Jermyn off the pitch with an injury, the Magpies fail to clear their lines allowing Moone to fire home past Murphy.

The away side nearly made an instant impact as Tom Blair, who signed a two-year deal with the Avenue side on Saturday, had the ball in the back of the net but, he was adjudged to have been offside.

After that brief scare for the Rebels, they piled on the pressure for the rest of the first half.

James Dobson and Harris caused the back four of Dorchester a few problems but, it was the scorer Moone who tested Murphy with a point-blank effort.

After a poor clearance from Wood, the striker bore down on goal only to see his shot saved brilliantly by the Magpies’ stopper – a player that improved immensely this season.

Dorchester did have a couple of chances of their own. Smeeton had a try from distance that went over and the Magpies blocked a clearance only to see the resulting shot go over the bar.

There was much to be encouraged about for the away side as the second half begun although, there was some concern for the Magpies as the injured Jermyn was replaced by Yates at the break.

The pattern of the first half continued into the second as Slough remained in control. Moone had a couple of good chances to send the Rebels into the lead. The best came just before the hour mark as Dobson found the striker only for him to volley it just wide.

Chances at the other end were at a premium and Magpies’ winger Wood missed a good chance, firing over when well placed in the 66th minute. He had another chance soon after but, his chip failed to test Mark Scott.

However, the pressure told in the 88th minute as a punch from Murphy fell to the edge of the box where Hollis was waiting. He struck a vicious shot through a crowded box to find the net and break Dorchester hearts.

Slough: Scott, Fraser, Jackman (Hicks 87), Hollis, Nisbet, Togwell, Dobson, Dunn (Webb 65), Putman (Smart 72), Moone, Harris

Subs not used: Hughes, Sears

Magpies: Murphy, Jermyn (Yates 45), Smeeton, Martin, Oldring, Dillon, Lea, Jerrard (Mitchell 65), Walker, Wood, Blair

Subs not used: Mullis, Crittenden, Mateus

Referee: Gregory Reid

Bookings: Slough – Dunn

Magpies – Jermyn, Blair, Yates

Attendance: 589