Dorchester defeated by Dunstable in tight affair

BY: Josh Donaldson Dorset Echo Sport

DUNSTABLE TOWN 2 DORCHESTER TOWN 1 Despite a late goal from Nathan Walker, Dorchester Town were unable to arrest their winless run as they lost 2-1 away to Dunstable Town.

Walker netted from a Neil Martin cross in the 88th minute after John Sonuga and Alex Carline scored for the hosts – both in the second half.

Mario Mateus had a great chance in stoppage time to snatch a draw, but the substitute could only hit a post

There were plenty of changes for the county town side from the team that lost 2-0 defeat to Merthyr Town in midweek.

David Jerrard, Ollie Bassett and Nick Crittenden all came into the starting line-up for Jake Smeeton, Mateus and Lewis Morgan. Mateus dropped to the bench, whist Morgan and Smeeton didn’t make the trip.

Joe Lea, who signed on loan from Yeovil Town on Saturday morning, was registered in time to take his place on the bench alongside Nick Swann, who missed Tuesday’s defeat with an ankle injury.

The Magpies opted for a 3-5-2 against Dunstable Town as they looked to be hard to break down.

And early on, it seemed to work as both sides struggled to create any chances in the opening 10 minutes.

Both sides didn’t score in midweek and that lack of attacking intent was evident as the only clear-cut chance of the half fell to a defender.

It was in Dorchester’s favour though as a corner fell to Chris Dillon in the danger area, but he could only rifle his shot over the bar.

Although the game lacked chances, there were moments of controversy. After the half hour mark, Dunstable’s goalkeeper Jack Smith seemed to pick up the ball after a back-pass, but referee Stephen Bates waved away the visitors’ protests as the first half ended without any more incident.

The second half followed the same pattern as the first as both side struggled to show much quality.

But, the game came alive on the hour mark as Sonuga broke the deadlock. The Magpies failed to clear a corner and there was Sonuga, who headed home with aplomb.

Dorchester made a change straight after the goal as Ben Wood, who struggled to make an impact up front alongside Walker, was replaced by Mateus.

The hosts also made a change as top scorer Cathline was brought on for Kevin Bossman – something that Mark Jermyn’s men would not have wanted to see. Soon after, Dorchester looked to Lea to bring a spark to the game. He replaced Dory Yates as the visitors went in search of an equaliser.

However, it was the hosts who scored next. Substitute Carline netted his eighth league goal of the season with a composed finish.

The Magpies didn’t stop fighting and nearly pulled a goal back soon after. Martin’s cross found Dillon, but the defender could only head wide in what was becoming another frustrating afternoon for the away side.

However, there was some late hope. Martin put in another decent cross and it fell to Walker, who fired home in the 88th minute to give his side something to fight for as the game neared its conclusion.

They nearly snatched a point as substitute Mateus was set up by Walker, but the Portuguese winger could only hit a post after he found himself in a great position.

That was the last action of the game and the Magpies will rue those missed opportunities as they lost their second away game in five days.

They will look to bounce back on Tuesday night as they take on Frome Town, a team they have fond memories playing against after beating the Robins 4-1 earlier in the season.

Dunstable: Smith, Reynolds, Okita, Talbot, Sonuga, Odofin, Phillips, Green (Moussi 71), Bossman (Cathline 63), Longe-King, Hutchinson

Subs not used: Head, Brown, Esso

Magpies: Murphy, Crittenden, Martin, Jermyn, Oldring, Dillon, Jerrard (Blair 73), Yates (Lea 67), Walker, Bassett, Wood (Mateus 62)

Subs not used: Swann, Mitchell

Referee: Stephen Bates