McLaggon nets brace as Dorchester are defeated by Martyrs

BY: Josh Donaldson Dorset Echo Sport


A brace from Merthyr Town’s Kayne McLaggon saw Dorchester Town defeated 2-0 in a frustrating evening for the county town side.

The striker opened the scoring midway through the first half with a glancing header before adding his second late in the second half in a game that was dominated by the hosts.

Neil Martin hit the bar late on, but the Magpies struggled to get going in what was a frustrating evening for the visitors.

Last season, the Magpies won 4-2 in Wales, but with a much-changed outfit they struggled to get going at Penydarren Park?.

The hosts took control from the outset as McLaggon headed over from close range after Scott Barrow had picked out the striker.

McLaggon, playing as part of a front three, was the main threat for the hosts and he had another chance in the opening exchanges. This time he fired wide with a snap shot from the edge of the box.

The pressure was mounting on the visitors and they had to rely on Shane Murphy to keep the game level in the 14th minute. Ian Traylor, who caused Neil Martin all sorts of problems throughout the game, cut in onto his left foot and unleashed a curling effort that brought the best out of the Dorchester stopper.

But Murphy couldn’t do anything to stop the hosts taking the lead in the 24th minute. Scott Barrow was the architect as his free-kick found McLaggon, who made no mistake with a glancing header.

They were back at it again soon after as Ashley Evans’ header was saved by Murphy, who was the busiest player on the pitch as half-time approached.

The pattern of the game didn’t change after the break. Murphy had to make another save, this time from a vicious shot from Barrow.

After that, the Magpies had their first real spell of pressure but they couldn’t get anything going. They brought on Tom Blair to add some pace and he had a soft penalty appeal waved away in what was becoming a bleak evening for the visitors.

Their misery was compounded in the 78th minute as McLaggon added his second of the game and his seventh this season. After a blistering run from Traylor, he found the striker, who applied the finish and sealed the clash for the home side.

Jake Smeeton hobbled off soon after as Crittenden replaced him, but no Dorchester player was able to stem the tide.

In the closing exchanges, McLaggon tried to complete his hat-trick only to see his effort saved by the impressive Murphy. Mercifully, Dorchester finally had a chance to gain a consolation goal as Martin hit the bar after Blair was fouled.

It was the closest they went all evening as they drove away from Wales knowing they were second best.

Merthyr: Garner, Barrow, McDonald, Wright, Tancock, Scotcher, Yorwerth, Evans (Williams 79), Refell, McLaggon, Traylor (Brown 79). Subs not used: Watkins, Clarke, Gavwill, Baggridge

Magpies: Murphy, Jermyn, Smeeton (Crittenden 79), Martin, Oldring, Dillon, Yates (Blair 59), Morgan, Walker, Mateus, Wood. Subs not used: Mitchell, Taylor, Hankin

Bookings: Merthyr – Barrow, Refell, McDonald, Scotcher, McDonald

Magpies – Yates, Morgan, Mateus, Martin

Referee: Neil Pratt

Assistants: Matthew Perry, Thomas Jones

Attendance: 603