Dorchester Town battle back to deny the Brakes

BY: Dorset Echo Sport


Dorchester Town battled back twice to take a point against high-flying Leamington at the Avenue, thanks to goals from Jake Smeeton and Ben Wood.

Smeeton scored from the penalty spot during the second period before Wood popped up to convert a second late on and give Mark Jermyn’s men a share of the spoils.

The home side announced on the morning of the game that youngster Tom Blair would be joining from Bridport on non-contract terms.

After scoring for the Magpies’ reserves in midweek, he was named on the bench for Mark Jermyn’s side.

The hosts also named a much more familiar starting XI in place of the line-up that were hammered 10-0 at Salisbury last time out.

And with their midweek misery behind them, the Magpies almost provided the perfect reaction.

A shot from Lewis Morgan cannoned off the post and into the arms of Brakes’ keeper Tony Breeden with just two minutes gone.

But just 11 minutes later, it was the Brakes who opened the scoring. Robbie Thompson-Brown found space to strike home into the corner from all of 25 yards and the score remained that way until the break.

A handball was then awarded in the Leamington box by the match official which allowed Smeeton to convert from the penalty spot to level the game up on 68 minutes.

Blair had been introduced just before the hour mark and went close with a curling effort, before the Brakes regained the lead.

Richard Taundry let fly with a rasping free-kick which flew in off the post to make it 2-1 to the visitors.

But Dorchester were not done and Wood was on hand to slot the ball home on the turn after a cushion header from Jermyn five minutes from time.

Magpies: Murphy, Jermyn, Smeeton, Martin, Oldring, Dillon, Jerrard, Morgan, Walker, Mateus, Wood. Subs: Yates, Ayunga, Mitchell, Crittenden, Blair.

Leamington: Breeden, Taundry, Gudger, Pond, Hood, Mace, Baker-Richardson, Edwards, Rowe, Thompson-Brown, Gittings. Subs: George, Magunda, James, Quinn, Obeng

Referee: Mr Lewis Sandoe

Assistant Referees: Mr Lee Nowacki & Mr Robert Ablitt

Attendance: 461