Dorchester defeated by valiant Lilywhites

BY: Josh Donaldson Dorset Echo Sport


Despite a second half onslaught, Dorchester Town were unable to salvage anything from their clash with Cambridge City at the Avenue as the Lilywhites won 2-0.

First half goals from Tunde Adewunmi and Giovany Lopes gave the visitors breathing room before the break.

However, an improved display from the county town side saw them go close on numerous occasions in the second half, but they couldn’t salvage anything from the game.

The Magpies were unchanged from their victory against Banbury United and the hosts were buoyed by the inclusion of Chris Dillon and Tony Lee, who was stretchered off in that fixture.

But they struggled to get going against a Cambridge side that had heaps of pace up front, Woolfe tested Murphy early on with a low, bouncing drive.

Their early dominance yielded a goal in the 11th minute.

Woolfe, who looked hungry in the opening exchanges, beat both Mark Jermyn and Nathan Walker to get his shot away. It cannoned off the post and fell to his strike partner Adewunmi, who couldn’t really miss from eight yards.

However, eight minutes later, it was game over for Woolfe after he collided with Walker. He was replaced by Lopes and as that substitution was taking place, Jermyn was giving some home truths to his charges.

The impromptu team talk nearly had the desired effect as Walker headed just wide from a Neil Martin free-kick.

That proved to be the only chance of a bleak half for the Magpies as the visitors dominated, despite sacrificing much of possession.

They added their second with eight minutes of the first period remaining.

Jermyn missed Enol Ordonez’s clearance allowing Adewunmi to find the substitute Lopes, who fired through the legs of Murphy to double their lead.

Walker was thrown up front as the Magpies searched for a spark, but it took two changes from the break to bring them to life.

Liam Sayers’ added pace and the industry of Ben Wood helped the hosts create numerous chances at the start of the second half.

David Jerrard missed when one-on-one and Walker was unlucky with a couple of headers that missed the target.

The home side kept knocking at the door but found it barred by Cambridge’s defenders were equal to them, blocking most of Dorchester’s efforts.

If the hosts managed to get a shot on goal, they found their way blocked by Ordonez.

Walker was a continued threat in the air, winning everything from Muprhy’s goal kick, but they were crowded out.

With time running out, the play became more and more direct, Mario Mateus – a bright spark on the wing – played a devilish ball into the path of Walker, but he couldn’t quite reach it.

Wood then fired a shot into the side netting as the Magpies tried desperately to find a goal.

More chances came and went, but the hosts couldn’t find a way through on a frustrating afternoon at the Avenue.

Jermyn’s men will look for an improved performance on Monday against bitter rivals Weymouth as they look for their second victory of the season.

Magpies: Murphy, Oldring, Smeeton, Jermyn (B Walker 83), N Walker, Dillon, Jerrard, Yates (Wood 45), Lee (Sayers 45), Mateus, Martin

Subs not used: Brookes, Swann

Cambridge: Ordonez, Cooper (Tricks 60), Day, Norman, Femiola, Uttridge, Alderson, Kaye, Adewunmi, Woolfe (Lopes 23, Serrano 65), Okay

Subs not used: Williams

Referee: Graham Pearce

Bookings: Magpies – Dillon, Smeeton

Cambridge ­– None

Attendance: 301