Banbury beaten by tenacious Dorchester

BY: Josh Donaldson Dorset Echo Sport


An incredible defensive display from Dorchester Town saw them pick up their first win of the season in a 2-1 victory at Banbury United.

A Jake Westerbrook own goal and a Chris Dillon header gave the county town side a 2-0 lead.

They were given a scare late on as Mark Janes lashed in a consolation goal in stoppage time, but the visitors were able to see out the game.

The win moved Mark Jermyn’s side up to 22nd in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier League table.

The Magpies made just one change from the side that drew 2-2 with Cirencester Town on Tuesday as Dory Yates came in for Liam Sayers.

More surprisingly was the inclusion of Chris Dillon and Mark Jermyn on the team sheet after both had limped off in midweek.

Both started and they had a significant influence on the opening exchanges as the visitors restricted the hosts, who had won three of their opening four league games.

The Puritans were left to try their luck from range as they struggled to break the county town side.

Darius Browne shot from range early on, but Shane Murphy was level to it.

The Magpies were defending stoutly and took the lead in the 27th minute.

Neil Martin was the architect, whipping in a vicious free-kick that was headed into his own net by Westbrook.

As the celebrations ended, the visitors made a change, bringing on Liam Sayers for David Jerrard.

Tackles were flying in all over the pitch and bookings were picked up by both sides as the hosts struggled to gain the upper hand.

The home fans looked for a reaction from the Puritans and they started the second half the stronger.

But the defence – led by Mark Jermyn, who was colossal at the back – stood firm, keeping the attacking force of Banbury at bay.

When they couldn’t, Murphy was at his best between the sticks making a couple of sublime saves.

He parried away a fierce shot before stopping Felipe Barcelos’ low effort by producing an exquisite save to tip it onto the post.

Between the saves, there was a cause of concern for the hosts as Tony Lee was stretchered off after coming out worse in a 50-50 tackle. Jason Brookes replaced him on the hour mark as he was applauded off the pitch.

It didn’t shake the Magpies though, as Martin hit the bar with a stinging drive that left goalkeeper Harding a spectator.

At the other end Johnson went close on a couple of occasions but the home side couldn’t find the leveller.

Their task got even harder as Dorchester doubled their lead with 15 minutes to go.

Neil Martin once again swung in a vicious set-piece, and his corner struck the bar. It initiated a goalmouth scramble and Dillon was on hand to poke the ball home.

After that Banbury tried everything to get back into the game, but Jermyn’s marshalled backline were able to resist the onslaught.

As the game entered stoppage time, the Magpies were given a fright as Mark Janes scored with a rifled effort from the edge of the box.

But it was too little, too late for the hosts as Dorchester picked up their first win of the season.

Magpies: Murphy, Oldring, Smeeton, Jermyn, N Walker, Dillon, Jerrard (Sayers 27), Yates, Lee (Brookes 60), Mateus (B Walker 82), Martin

Subs not used: Brookes, Swann, Ayunga, B Walker

Banbury: Harding, White, Lynn, Nash, Westbrook, Gunn, Browne, Self (Janes 77), Johnson, Barcelos, Bell

Subs not used: Fawke, Blackstock, Martin, Howards

Bookings: Magpies – Jerrard, Yates, Brookes

Banbury ­– Lynn, Self

Attendance: 324