Sayers strikes to see off the Stutes

BY Dan Rose: Dorset Echo Sport


Dorchester Town ended a run of four games without a win in all competitions as a solitary strike from Liam Sayers proved enough to take all three points from the Glass World Stadium.

Sayers popped up in the eighth minute after good work from midfielder Charlie Davis to net what proved to be the winner, to get Mark Jermyn’s men back on a winning track.

Player-manager Jermyn named himself back among the Dorchester Town starting XI, which could not include the suspended Neil Martin and Lewis Morgan.

Ben Watson dropped to the bench and Sayers was brought in to starting for the visitors, who were looking to respond after two consecutive 1-0 home losses against Hungerford and Hitchin.

Reacting to the Stutes’ 7-0 drubbing at home against Poole Town in midweek, Histon chief Steve Fallon admitted one or two of his players needed a “kick up the backside”.

He was however full of praise for striker Josh Oyinsan, who was named in the Stutes’ side from the outset. Evan Key was unavailable and Ryan Auger was ruled out with a groin injury.

There were also first call-ups to the senior squad for Luke Brown, Michael King and Dominik Zalejski, who were all named as substitutes.

And as the game got underway, it was Magpies’ midfielder Davis who had the first sight at goal. He lined up a free-kick which fell comfortably into the hands of the home keeper.

But, after threatening himself, Davis did play a part in the visitors’ opener after just eight minutes.

He stood the ball up at the back post for Sayers to smash home on the volley and put Jermyn’s men in the ascendancy.

Looking for a response, Histon then earned themselves a free-kick which was whipped dangerously onto the head of Sam Ives, whose effort was deflected just wide.

Sayers then almost repaid the favour for Davis in a bid to make it 2-0 to the away side. He charged down the left and fed the ball to Davis but the former Poole man effort narrowly missed the target.

Brendan Brown in the Stutes’ goal was then tasked with pulling off a magnificent stop to deny Portsmouth loanee Sayers soon after, as a dominant Dorchester went in at the break with a one-goal advantage.

Both sides struggled to get the ball down in the opening exchanges in the second half but it was Jermyn’s troops who came close to extending their lead when Nathan Walker headed over from a corner.

Ives then put a shot wide for the hosts after he brought the ball down well on the edge of the Dorchester area, as the Magpies’ defence continued to stand firm.

Magpies’ assistant-manager Nick Crittenden was then introduced in place of Bradley Tarbuck and the Stutes were left to stab the ball off their own line after some good pressure from the county town side.

Jonah Ayunga lofted the ball over keeper Brown and, looking to add his second on the follow up, Sayers could not quite reach it. Davis then saw his delivery from a corner drift on the breeze and hit the woodwork.

Sayers was then replaced late on by Oakley Hanger, knowing his goal had made the difference, ensuring the Magpies went home with all three points.

Magpies: Walker-Harris, Oldring, Smeeton, Jermyn, Walker, Dillon, Davis, Holmes, Ayunga, Sayers (Hanger), Tarbuck (Crittenden) (Watson). Subs not used: Murphy, Brookes.

Histon: Brown, Trotman, Uttridge, Smith, Rumens, Clayton, Freeman, Fulcher, Oyinsan, Ives, Carden (Kairys). Subs not used: Norman, Brown, King, Zalejski

Attendance: 155