Jonah Ayunga seals points in thrilling Chesham win

By David Williams: Dorset Echo Sports


Bossman 15, Taylor 66, Fenton 82


Morgan 13, Tarbuck 35, 40, Ayunga 90

Jonah Ayunga’s dramatic late strike snatched all three points for Dorchester Town at the end of a seven-goal thriller in Buckinghamshire.

The hosts had fought back from a 3-1 interval deficit and looked the more likely to go on and win the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division clash in the closing stages before Ayunga pounced.

Dorchester’s victory was also notable for a first-half double from Bradley Tarbuck who put his side in a commanding position at the break following Lewis Morgan’s opener.

With a fractured finger keeping Jake Smeeton out of the Dorchester side, Matt Oldring continued as captain, while there were three changes from the team that started the draw with Merthyr.

Jason Brookes, Tony Lee and Nick Crittenden dropped to the bench as Ayunga, Tarbuck and Chris Dillon came after suspension, illness and injury respectively.

Oldring’s opposite number, home skipper Bruce Wilson, made an impression early on, though that was with a late tackle which earned him a yellow card after just three minutes.

Soon after, and following a poor clearance from Magpies keeper Shane Murphy that went for a corner, Generals defender George Fenton headed over from close range.

Dillon’s return to the team meant Dorchester were able to utilise his long throws and Morgan fired wide from one following Fenton’s header.

It didn’t take too long for Tarbuck to get involved in proceedings and some neat play from him resulted in Oakley Hanger being sent clear but he could only fire wide.

Then came two goals in as many minutes, one for either side, as Morgan gave Dorchester the lead only for Kelvin Bossman to equalise.

First, Morgan turned in a cross from the right on 13 minutes, the midfielder claiming his second league goal of the season with a neat finish.

However, Chesham hit back almost immediately, debutant Bossman firing past Murphy having been put in by Ryan Blake.

There then followed a flurry of chances for both teams alongside two more bookings for the hosts.

For Dorchester, Ayunga had a couple of efforts go over and wide of the target respectively, while in between those two Charlie Davis’ deflected attempt was saved by George Legg.

At the other end, Wilson and Blake went close, and Tommy Fletcher and Matt Taylor went into the referee’s notebook in quick succession.

A third goal of the afternoon only seemed a matter of time in coming and on 35 minutes it duly arrived.

Ben Watson broke clear of the Chesham defence down the left and his centre was easily tapped in by Tarbuck.

And Tarbuck’s day got even better five minutes later when he netted his second and the county town outfit’s third.

Tarbuck, still on a high after putting the Magpies back into the lead, made it 3-1 when he struck a superb volley from the edge of the United box.

Another of Chesham’s Georges, Casey, became the fourth of the hosts’ players to be cautioned in the first half when he was guilty of a foul on the stroke of the interval.

There was still time for Murphy to deny Blake before Brad Wadkins fired the follow up wide.

Scoring opportunities continued to come thick and fast in the second period.

A two-on-two break by the visitors ended with Morgan’s shot being blocked, while Toby Little’s volley was deflected for a corner at the other end.

A Neil Martin header then went narrowly wide as Mark Jermyn’s men pressed to add a fourth.

However, on 66 minutes it was 3-2.

A pin-point cross to the far post from Casey was nodded in by Taylor to set up an intriguing last quarter.

Lee replaced Dillon, who had been carded before Chesham’s second goal, and player-manager Jermyn followed the latter into the book following a rash challenge in front of the dug outs.

Murphy was called into action after the hosts had appeals for a penalty turned down, but the Magpies’ keeper couldn’t stop Fenton levelling things up with around 10 minutes to go.

It was so nearly 4-3 to the Generals but Murphy kept out a Wilson effort and then Fenton headed wide from a corner.

All of the pressure in the latter stages was coming from United and there only looked like being one winner.

But the Magpies were having none of it and as the clock struck 90 minutes they broke away to snatch the three points, Ayunga finishing off a classic counter-attack.

Chesham: Legg, Casey, Little, Fletcher, Fenton, Taylor, Pearce, Bossman, Blake, Wadkins, Wilson. Subs not used: Hamilton-Forbes, Osbourne, Ford, Fongho, Woodcock.

Magpies: Murphy, Hanger, Martin, Jermyn, Oldring, Dillon (Lee), Davis (Crittenden), Morgan, Ayunga, Watson, Tarbuck (Brookes). Subs not used: Walker-Harris.

Bookings: Chesham – Wilson (foul, 3), Fletcher (foul, 24), Taylor (foul, 28), Casey (foul, 45)

Magpies – Dillon (foul, 61), Jermyn (foul, 77)

Referee: Gareth Viccars (Bletchley)

Attendance: 273